After working for most of your life, you may be looking forward to the lazy days of retirement. However, even in the relaxed atmosphere of senior living facilities, proper planning will make you feel more fulfilled and bring more enjoyment to your daily life.
Although being the resident of a senior living community will make you more active, you must still pro-actively plan out your day, week, month and year.
The best way to do this is to get a planner – and this can be either digital or it can be an old-fashioned notebook and a pen.
How to set goals:
- Make a list of the goals you want to achieve in the next 12 months. They can be financial goals, nutritional, social, spiritual, etc. It takes 21 days to form a habit, so after three weeks, your new habit should become as routine as brushing your teeth.
- Write your goal in your journal and then write in whether it is a daily goal, weekly, monthly or yearly. Some examples of goals may be:
- Daily goals: “Do some light exercise for 20 minutes a day”. Or “drink four glasses of water per day”.
- Weekly goals: “I will walk 10 miles a week” Write this in your planner every Monday, and then every day of the week write down how many miles you walked. Or “I will read a book every week.” Every Saturday, go to the library and pick out a new book.
- Monthly goals: “Pay all my bills on time every month, to avoid late fees.” Write it in your planner on the first of every month, and also on the fifteenth of the month, to make sure all outstanding bills are paid in a timely manner.
- Yearly goals: “Visit my family.” Search for airfare months in advance and book your trip early to get the best prices. Write in reminders in your planner months before your visit.
- Review your goals every morning. Make adjustments as needed.
It may help to discuss your goals and plans with a trusted friend or family member, as it will keep you accountable. You will also have the opportunity to discuss your progress and challenges, as well as share the joy of accomplished goals.
Remember “A goal without a plan is just a wish”. – Antoine de Saint-Exupery