Many people in their sixties and beyond have been in a long-term relationship for most of their adult life – they grew old with their spouse and counted on being together for a lifetime. However, widowhood or divorce do happen, and the possibility of being alone for the rest of your life is lonely and sad.
The good news is that there are plenty of people out there, just like you, with similar interests who are looking for a relationship. If you are single and want to meet a special person, it is time for you to date again.
How to meet new people
- 😊Being a member of senior living community in Richardson, Texas, gives you an opportunity to meet other people in your age group, with similar interests. Join gardening clubs, walking groups, reading clubs or consider new hobbies. Be open to new opportunities and sign up for activities.
- 😊Ask friends and neighbors if they know anyone that you would enjoy meeting. A potential date who has been vetted by someone you know and trust already adds an element of trust. Another advantage is that you can find out information about your date ahead of time to prepare yourself.
- 😊Online dating sites are worth considering, and there are dating sites specifically for seniors. Research sites that have a good reputation and read their reviews. Create your online profile with a recent picture and be honest about your likes and dislikes. When meeting someone for the first time, exercise caution. Always meet in a public place and make sure that a friend knows where you are and calls to check on you during the date.
How to prepare to meet someone new
- 💖Don’t worry about gray hair or wrinkles; they don’t matter, and neither does your age. What is important is to be a good listener, considerate of others, and always be well-groomed. Dress appropriately – don’t be too casual or too formal.
- 💖Avoid loud bars, concerts or other places where the conversation is limited. Choose to meet for dinner at a nice restaurant. Discuss “safe” topics, and stay away from controversial issues like politics and religion until you know each other a little better. Limit your date to about two hours – this should be enough time for both of you to know whether you want to see each other again.
- 💖Think about what you are looking for in a relationship. Is it a platonic friend to have dinner with occasionally? Or a serious relationship that leads to marriage? The answer will determine the type of person with whom you spend your time. It is essential to give people a chance, and don’t be judgemental, but if you see qualities you don’t like, then it is time to move to the next person. Respect is mandatory, but there may be other attributes that you can be flexible on (such as – “is she a good cook?”).
- 💖Don’t discuss “baggage” (health issues, divorce, custody battles) on the first date, but do talk everything through when you start to get serious.
- 💖Trust is important. Let the new person in your life earn your trust. Be guarded with your personal and financial information and be wary if they ask too many questions about your net worth.
Above all, make sure that the person you are considering spending your time with makes you feel good about yourself and makes you smile.