Newly retired seniors often experience loneliness and social isolation. They may have recently moved from the family home to an independent living communities, and are still trying to figure out what to do with their newly discovered free time.
There are dozens of ways to occupy your time and enrich your lives, thanks to technology. Most independent living communities have recreation rooms with computers and internet access, so even if you do not have your own computer, you can take advantage of many of these ideas:
- Setting up an email account on your smartphone, iPad or computer, and start communicating with friends, former neighbors, children, and grandchildren. You can share photographs, news, and jokes instantly.
- Social networks, such as Facebook or Instagram. Connect with old friends or new ones, or follow your favorite tv shows, magazines for up-to-the-minute news and entertainment updates.
- Use Skype to speak to family and friends. Skype is wonderful because you don’t just speak with them, you can see them as well! Your grandkids can show you their new pet turtle, missing teeth, or the trophy they won in soccer!
- Take online classes. If you want to learn a new skill, such as cooking your best friend’s favorite dessert, or how to paint with watercolors, you can take an online class, or watch YouTube videos.
- Make dinner reservations. Research the restaurant, read the reviews, check out the menu and make reservations online. If you had a great experience, leave a review as well!
- Watch movies on your laptop or tablet. Thanks to Hulu and Netflix, you can now watch any movie, whether it’s an old and favorite classic or a brand-new release on your tablet or laptop, in the comfort of your own home.
- Make travel arrangements. Book your airfare and hotel online. Easy!
- Shopping. We now have more shopping choices than ever, as almost all stores have an online presence. Whatever you are in the market for, you can find online, and usually with a great promotional discount and free shipping as well.
- Recipes. Whatever you are planning to cook for dinner tonight, will come out great, because there are recipes for all kinds of soups, entrees, desserts. Once you find your favorites, you can easily save them, either to share with friends or for future use.
- Don’t forget your smartphone with its many features to make your life easier, such as: camera, photo album, maps, games. And of course, you can use it to call your loved ones!